Wednesday, December 25, 2013

And the Holiday Poetry Contest Finalists are...


The top five Finalists for the Holiday Poetry Contest have been chosen by the MadPea Crew!

After careful consideration of all of the wonderful entries received, the MadPea Productions Crew have chosen the following as the five best entries!  Thank you to all the Peas who sent in their wonderfully creative submissions!


5th place goes to an untitled poem by Kahleesi Wolfbane:

Tell no one
Of my annual love
The murmur of winter to my soul
The touch of winter to my lips
It's heady scent and biting breath
Fragile snowflakes; prism promises
Lingering on my face and dampening my neck
How I wait with quickening heart
Anticipating December's approach
Fading light and darkened rooms, heightening my senses
Passion igniting with firelight and burning through candlelight glow
Tell no one how I long for its return
My passion to see mouths upturned in smiles
Mounting ecstasy, nourished by giving and festive cheer
My ears swayed by carols; heavenly music and shared elation
Each year the winter returns to me, trailing Christmas in its wake
My memories are like the snow
Layering softly in my mind
Faded and melting,  sinking deeper 
Yet not forgotten


Piper25 wrote our fourth place choice:

Tick, tock, there goes the clock..
tricking us craftily, there is no time to stop.
Is it not so that time seems to quicken?
The day's dancing by and yet lists not all written.

Does the snow line the windows and cling to tree bows?
Does it light up the night so that magic can grow?
Up pops the snow world, children's smiles warm the cold,
Snowmen and snow-fight's, cozy mittens and coats.

The streets all lit up with tinsel and lights,
how pretty it looks when you travel at night.
If a star over yonder would show us the way,
would we rush to believe in the message it gave?

How lovely, how homely, a fire burning bright,
the hearth looks so pretty with the stockings fixed tight,
let us count them, be sure that Santa will know,
just who believes and sleeps holding hope.

Come oh ye faithful and sing with the choirs!
Open your hearts and celebrate life,
Mary's boy child, what a story of light,
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!


Meshif Soulstar was chosen as our 3rd place poet and winner of L$800:

They say that holidays are joyful
and full of love and happiness.
But you know what I get through December?
A big pile of worry and stress!

The dinner platter must be perfect,
or the relatives complain.
The kids tear tinsel off the tree
and make cleaning such a pain!

The roads are slick and icy
and the temperatures too low.
And then of course we get snowed in,
so there's nowhere else to go.

Then the gifts are given out,
and, while it's sad to say,
we all know that the heartfelt ones
are returned after Christmas Day.

That's not the least of my list,
but, take a moment and think.
With all this trouble, there's some good.
A good excuse to drink!


Our 2nd place award of L$1,200 goes to a poem submitted by Maia007 Resident:

Cold Hands, Warm Hearts

Started getting cold, greens turn white uphill
Music from rushing rivers, like time in space, stood still
Yellows from the sun got pretty dull and gray
Carried my weight a lil more with all the snow on my way

I stick my tongue out, let the lil flakes melt with the heat
Snowball came smashing on my face, some even got stuck between my teeth
Ran to the snowman with its orange nose I can nibble and bite
Pulled out the carrot, rolled on the ground, armed for the snowball fight

I strike without warning, my foe with all the ice on his head
I could just throw lil snowballs but settled for the cannon instead
He started making snow angels, waved a white hanky and exclaimed a truce
Added some gingerbread peace offerings and shovel I can use

I gave out a warm smile amidst the freezing cold
This is like some fairytale love story that's yearning to be told :)


And our 1st place prize and winner of L$2,000 goes to  Poe Dragonfly with a poem entitled:

 Shall I Compare Thee to a Winter's Night

Shall I compare thee to a Winter's night?
Thou art more dark, and your gaze more cold.
Yet it’s from the dark that the stars sparkle bright,
Although any light is a million years old. 
Sometime the Moon-smile is naught but a smirk, 
Her tombstone teeth concealed within,
As if to laugh at some veiled joke
Before the electric auroras begin.
But thy endless grip seems not to relent,
Nor loosen its’ hold on my splintered debris,
Nor thy chilling touch redeem what was lent:
My beating heart is forever your fee.
So this is the way you conduct your affairs.
And this is the way I will push you down stairs.    


Happy Holidays Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment